Tuesday, January 7, 2014

30 Day Bloggy Challenge

Due to the freezing temperatures in Rhode Island and the fact that I've been staying kind of late at work I haven't been riding as much as usual lately.  Seeing as I don't want any excuses to not blog I figured I would steal the 30 Day Blogging challenge I've seen around to keep myself on track, and get some info about my riding life out there.

I've stolen the challenge from She Moved to Texas who evidently stole it from Viva Carlos, so thanks ladies :)


Day 1: Where/Why/When you Began Riding

Around 3 years old, loving life on an unamused pony.

I've wanted to ride horses as long as I can remember.  One of my dad's clients owned a large barn about 45 minutes from where I lived as a little girl and the highlight of my entire world was taking trips out to his barn for a pony ride.  I assume my parents thought it was a phase but here we are now, and clearly it's not going away.  My family is huge into hockey so it was assumed I would do something ice-related.  There was a period where I figure skated but that didn't last.  There was also a period of dance classes.... That didn't last either.  Luckily for me I was blessed with a grandmother who rode as a child and always wanted a horse therefore taking her grand-daughter for riding lessons once a week was almost as good.  I began taking lessons when I was 8 years old at a small, low key barn and treasure the pictures and memories I have from that time.


The first horse I ever had a lesson on was a Arab mare (I think...?) named Zima.  Yes after the beer.  Yes looking back, that's super classy.  I remember her as being a sassy little mare and despite not having any lessons prior to riding her I began cantering promptly because every time she got to a certain corner of the arena she would pick up a canter, canter the length of the long side, and then quietly come back.  Otherwise I'm sure she was perfectly safe... hah.

Showing Zima in a lead line class at my first show, circa 1999

Beau, another horse I lessoned on at this barn.

Throughout my lesson-kid life I rode at several barns, all of them serving a purpose in my riding and I can honestly say I have great memories from each barn.  I was so lucky to have various horses and ponies around me for so much of my life before I was able to own my very own horse.  To this day I credit my velcro seat to the years I spent riding rotten little lesson ponies, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments: